Bicester, Oxon. OX26 7HT
T. 01869 249222
Dr Sue Danton
Dr Gordon Montgomery established a surgery in the centre of Bicester before WW1, so circa 1914. He was joined in 1937 by Dr Arthur House, and it is after our two founding fathers that Montgomery-House Surgery was named. We are one of the oldest practices in Bicester, and a very well-established training practice, having been training aspiring GPs for over 30 years. 2 of our current GPs were registrars at the practice!
We are fortunate to work in modern, purpose-built premises, but with the ever-growing population of Bicester, are in the early stages of planning a move to a brand new building, hopefully in 2021.
Our last CQC visit was in March 2018 and we were rated ‘good’ in all areas.
We look after a semi-rural population of around 16,000 patients and dispense to around a quarter of these. Our list size is increasing due to the rapid expansion of Bicester, once a small market town.
We and our patients benefit from our town centre position adjacent to the modern Community Hospital, which provides community inpatient beds, x-ray services and several out-patient clinics. We are a short walk from Bicester Village and often enjoy a break
together at lunchtime, walking there to get some lunch.
Our young, friendly, dynamic and resilient medical team consists of 5 partners, 5 associate GPs and ST2/3 trainees. We also frequently welcome doctors from the Oxford Sports and Exercise Medicine training program. We have 5 fantastic practice nurses, a team of excellent health care assistants, and a cohesive and loyal team of support staff, some of whom have been with the practice for 20+ years! The happiness and wellbeing of our staff is crucial to us and to the excellent service that we offer our patients. We hold regular meetings for the whole practice team, and value feedback and ideas from staff as well as patients. We hold twice-yearly social events, which are thoroughly enjoyed by staff (including our trainees) and our families.
We provide the complete range of primary care clinics, as well as hosting several outside clinics, for example the community addictions team, eye screening, newborn hearing screening, antenatal clinics, research nurses and a dietician. We offer in-house counselling, minor surgery / joint injections and the full complement of family planning services, including IUD and implant insertions.
We are committed to maintaining and developing high quality patient care and, as such, are actively involved in NIHR CRN research.
The proactive care home support service has enabled us to provide an efficient weekly visit to Langford View, a 60-bed care home. Dr Ali Law spends a session per week visiting residents there and this is an excellent learning opportunity for our registrars.
One of our partners, Dr Will O’Gorman, is the chair of NE Oxfordshire CCG, meaning that our voice and opinions are well represented at a locality level. He has also just been elected to the newly formed Primary Care Network board and is looking forward to being involved
in the modelling of innovative local services.
Training & Education
We firmly believe for several reasons that Montgomery-House Surgery is the ideal practice to learn to be a great GP:
- Long-established training practice with supportive and approachable staff
- Cohesive, happy team who enjoy working together
- Busy practice with patients from a wide range of socioeconomic backgrounds
- Large practice offering range of additional services, providing opportunity to pursue any particular areas of interest
- Involvement and commitment of all clinical and support staff to training
- Participation of all the GPs in delivering tutorials, debrief sessions and shared surgeries
- Daily informal GPs’ lunchtime meeting to share out visits, discuss clinical questions, eat lunch, socialise and unwind, often followed by a more formal scheduled meeting
- Twice-monthly in-house educational meetings covering clinical updates, audit presentations, significant event analysis, IT updates and outside speakers.
Meet the trainer
- Dr Sue Danton has been a GP for 24 years, previously as a partner and has been at Montgomery house for 3 years working over 3 days in practice. She enjoys the long-term continuity of General practice and working as part of a team. She is a coil fitter and is involved a lot in women’s health. Having been a trainer for about 11 years she have seen many trainees during their training, and enjoys supporting them to develop skills for the future.
Please feel free to arrange an informal visit by contacting Tracy Bishop, our practice manager on 01869 249222. We look forward to meeting you.