Types of Leave

Study Leave

You will be advised about study leave in induction at the start of the scheme.  These pages remind you of the procedure for applying for study leave. Please apply with minimum of 6 weeks notice and follow the correct process!

You can apply to take study leave to:

  1. Acquire and improve knowledge, skills and attitudes related to core GP Training.
  2. Prepare for and pass the AKT and CSA/RCA.
  3. Meet an essential requirement of GP Training (e.g. Child and Adult Level 3 Safeguarding).
  • You are entitled to up to 30 days per year of Study Leave (=15 days every 6 months). 
  • Attending HDR/WDR takes up a large part of this. (approx 11 days per 6 months in primary care, 6 days per 6 months in secondary care) 
  • Study leave that prepares you for the requirements of the GP Training core curriculum including exams is prioritised above any personal learning interest or development towards a potential role as a GPSI even though this interest is included within the GP curriculum. 
  • Resources available to support trainees attending courses outside HDR/WDR are limited.
  • Local courses generally take priority over more distant courses 
  • Yorkshire and The Humber HEE will not routinely fund GP Update, refresher and Hot Topics courses as they are not considered the most effective way to prepare for AKT. 
  • Study leave for private study is considered, 3 days per training year is the maximum allowed.
  • All study leave must be approved by the Trainer/Clinical Supervisor, the hospital/practice rota team and a Training Programme Director.
  • How to apply:
  1. Make sure the learning need for which you are applying for study leave is on your PDP, clearly described and justified in relation to GP training or your career in GP. 
  2. To formulate your PDP talk to your ES or named TPD. 
  3. Take a look at our HDR / WDR programme to see if what you want to do is already covered
  4. If you are in a secondary care post – follow York Trust policy which usually means arranging cover for your absence by liaising with your peers. In a GP post, this means liaising with the Practice Manager.
  5. If the course/exam is on a day off, you still need to complete a study leave form to claim back any costs involved.
  6. Get approval from the Rota Coordinator (hospital post) or Practice Manager (GP post). 
  7. Use the approved study leave application form and attach a copy of the course programme/activity/booking form.
  8. Apply ta least 6 weeks in advance by sending the completed form to Postgrad Centre
  9. A decision about approval for your study leave will be made at the TPD team meeting.
  10. You will be informed via email of the teams decision.
  11. Pay any upfront charges required by the organisers of the course after you have had approval. The courses will not be funded if you book but then you fail to attend.
  12. Claim forms must be submitted as soon as possible after the study leave has been completed. Claims submitted after a 3 month period has elapsed will NOT be eligible for payment. Claim forms will not be processed unless accompanied by an approved study leave form, confirmation of attendance and receipts.  Forward the completed forms to Postgrad Centre

Study leave application form

Post study leave – claim form Microsoft Word document [23.6 KB]

Annual Leave

Please contact your Employer to confirm the number of annual leave days you are entitled to. Your annual leave entitlement increases when you have reached 5 years NHS service.

If you are in a GP Post please contact di.ruston@york.nhs.uk

If you are in a York Trust Hospital Post please contact mso@york.nhs.uk

Sick Leave

If you need time off sick, there are 2 aspects you need to think about: 

Your Employment: – You should contact your workplace immediately to let them know you can’t come to work. In GP this might be the Practice Manager or your Trainer, in hospital the Rota Coordinator, departmental secretary or your Clinical Supervisor.  Try to have a conversation or full message exchange – don’t just leave a message and hope it gets through. It can be helpful if you can give them an idea of how long you are likely to be off sick.

Your Education – If you are absent for more than two weeks in any one year for any kind of leave in addition to the study and annual leave allowance, that excess must be made up with additional training time at the end of your training programme. If you are absent for more than the two weeks allowance, please let the following people know: 
1. Your scheme’s GP administrator 
2. The Training Programme Directors
3. The Deanery

Leave form for completion and yearly attachment to e-portfolio

You must also indicate the number of calendar days missed in a training year on your Form R and provide a record of leave taken in your ePortfolio for review by the ARCP panel 
Use the same leave form for your 3 years, so that the calculation of leave can be seen in the final year

This form should be kept up to date at all times, you can record your sick leave, carers leave and study leave on the one form, and update it as necessary. This form needs to be put in your e-portfolio before any of your yearly ARCPs.

Statement of Leave and Complaints Microsoft Excel sheet [47.5 KB]

Other Types of Leave

Parental Leave: https://www.gov.uk/parental-leave

Maternity Leave: https://www.gov.uk/maternity-pay-leave and https://www.yorksandhumberdeanery.nhs.uk/general_practice/school-primary-care-about-your-programme-south-yorkshire-registrar-resources-3

Paternity Leave: https://www.gov.uk/paternity-pay-leave

Adoption Leave: https://www.gov.uk/adoption-pay-leave

Time off for Family and Dependents: https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/articles/time-dependants-compassionate-leave

Compassionate Leave

Carer’s Leave

Jury Service Leave: https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/articles/time-jury-service

Time off to visit the doctor or dentist: Your employer are not legally obliged to give you time off to attend doctor or dentist appointments unless your contract of employment says so. Your employer can insist you make these visits outside work hours, take holiday leave or make the time up later on. Pregnant women are allowed reasonable paid time off work for ante-natal care – you won’t need to make it up later. 

NB It is important to bear in mind that although you may be contractually entitled to take maternity, paternity, carer leave, etc, any absence due to type of any type (except study or annual leave) of more than 14 days (ie 2 calendar weeks) in a training year must be made up in by extending your training completion date.

Please refer to your contract and check the trust website or speak to HR regarding advise on all types of leave

Some general advise can be found at