Known for its Pleasure Beach, amusement arcades and donkey rides, Blackpool is the quintessentially British holiday destination and the town welcomes over 11 million visitors every year. Add approximately 330,000 Fylde coast residents into the mix, and that’s a lot of folk potentially needing healthcare…
As such, Blackpool Victoria Hospital is one of the busiest hospitals in the country and forms part of the Blackpool Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust. We have a strong set of Core Values, underpinning our commitment to the training and development of all staff, and as a well-established teaching hospital, we are proud of our academic links to a number of universities, including Lancaster University, Liverpool University and UCLan.
“The best part about working at Blackpool is despite the large size of the hospital, there’s still a small community feel and a lot of the FYs live nearby”
The Trust offers 36 Foundation Year 1 posts and 36 Year 2 posts, divided between 12 Tracks – offering trainees a wide and varying experience in all aspects of medicine.
In addition to hands-on experience, protected full day teaching hosted by resident Consultants and visiting professionals, is held fortnightly and mapped to the Foundation Curriculum.
Plus, each Foundation Year 2 Track includes a four-month rotation in General Practice and the opportunity to enrol on a Lancaster University accredited Leadership course.
“With my experience so far, given the choice, I would chose Blackpool over any other UK hospital for my Foundation years.”
- A dedicated Medical Education Team on site, to co-ordinate and support your teaching and training
- Excellent teaching and clinical experience in both Primary and Secondary Care across the Fylde coast, via Educational and Clinical Supervisors
“I felt that the working environment in this hospital is very good. All the members of staff were very friendly and helpful.”
- Purpose built Simulation and Clinical Skills CentreDedicated training team
- HENW accredited customised simulated based medical education unit
- Two “mock” clinical areas, with observation rooms
- Full range of remote controlled simulation manikins.
- Purpose built Medical Education Centre
- The quality accredited library is available 24/7 for access to education and evidence based resources
- Meeting rooms and lecture theatre for trainee use
- Dedicated Centre Manager and Centre Assistant for support.
- Onsite training courses – ALERT, BLS, PILS, ILS, NLS
- Clinical meetings, MDTs and Weekly Grand Rounds
- Equipped teaching rooms on wards and departments