Involves learner alternating between seeing patients (consulting) and watching and listening to another doctor seeing patients (recording). The format for the appointments can be arranged in various ways. Most trainees find them an excellent tool to develop their consulation skills and help them prepare for the CSA
Some practical things you may want to consider:
- Appointment times (how long?) – initially longer appointment times then reduce as year progresses
- Frequency – are they going to be scheduled weekly/monthly/ad-hoc?
- Will they be scheduled as a substitute for a tutorial or regular surgery?
- Are the joint surgeries going to be shared around with other doctors?
- How will the consultations be assessed? E.g. COT analysis, CSA markscheme or other tool
- How will patients be booked-in? eg. Whose list will they appear on (for audit trail/prescriptions etc.)? Will patients be informed (consent) when booking appointment or when they arrive? What will they be asked/told when booking these appointments?