- Prepare for life after GP training
- Develop curiosity and empathy
- Foster leadership skills
- Widen understanding of societal and cultural contexts
- Encourage development of special interests and skills
- Develop advanced consultation skills.
The Course Format
ST3 Teaching is held approximately twice a month always on a Wednesday. Attendance is mandatory and DiT need to attain a minimum 70% attendance record.
The format of the course is a mixture of small group work and workshop sessions. The format of the course is a mixture of small group work and workshop sessions. DiT are expected to contribute by presenting analyses of guidelines and a problem patient case based on the session topic.
Group work helps solve problems encountered by the all in their surgeries, as well as tackling clinical subjects from a GP’s perspective.
Self-assessment and study of the skills of communication in General Practice are encouraged.
The Course provides an Introduction to:
• The consultation
• The doctor/patient relationship
• The Primary Health Care Team
• Practice management & organisation
• Psychological and social medicine
• Clinical aspects of practice
• The organisation of the NHS
The content of the Course is derived from the intended learning outcome of the GP Curriculum and provides a basis for working towards success in the RCGP RCA/SCA examination.