Types of Leave

ACAS – Free employement Advice

Annual Leave

Please refer to your generic work schedule which will be provided to you by Medical HR. If you are LTFT your bank holidays will come out of your A/L allowance.

Study Leave

Study leave is not usually allowed for private study, but may be appropriate in exceptional circumstances. Instead, it’s for going on courses, workshops or doing exams. All study leave must be approved by the Trainer or Hospital Consultant and a Training Programme Director.

  • Officially you get 30 days per year of Study Leave (=15 days every 6 months).
  • Attending HDR already eats up all of this (15 days per 6 months).
  • Study leave that prepares the trainee for the requirements of the core curriculum defined by the RCGP and RCGP membership examination is prioritised above any personal learning interest or development towards a potential role as a GPSI even though this interest is included within the GP curriculum.
  • You must make sure you attend the required number of Half Day Release which take priority over any other demands for study leave.
  • Local courses generally take priority over more distant courses – many schemes will not approve funding for distant MRCGP preparation courses. Clarify with your TPDs.
  • Many schemes will not fund GP Update, refresher and Hot Topics courses as they are not considered the most effective way to prepare for AKT. Clarify with your TPDs.
  • Trainees who are doing well in their assessments may be funded to attend local RCGP courses aimed at established GPs, if they have educational approval and if resources allow.
  • Some schemes recommend to GP training practices that trainees be allowed up to 5 EXTRA study leave days every 6 months in addition to HDR attendance. Included in this extra 5 days is time off to sit compulsory exams. This additional study leave may be granted if the trainer agrees that it is appropriate for the trainee’s professional development needs. However, trainees need to understand that this additional leave is entirely discretionary, not an entitlement, and is almost impossible during hospital posts.

Because of limited resources, most schemes are unable to promise funding for any specific courses. The current priority for funding is for LOCAL courses where the educational activity:

  1. Prepares you for the requirements of MRCGP (like local AKT and CSA courses).
  2. Tackles an essential component of being a GP (like Child and Adult Protection).

1. Make sure the learning need for which you are applying for study leave is on your PDP, clearly described and justified in relation to your career in GP.
2. If you are in any doubt, talk to a TPD before going any further.
3. Use the approved study leave application form.
4. Get the request approved by your Hospital Consultant or GP Trainer and a TPD.
5. Get approval from the Rota Coordinator (hospital post) or Practice Manager (GP post).
6. Apply 8 weeks in advance of the course if possible.
7. Pay any upfront charges required by the organisers of the course – hopefully, these will be reimbursed. Some courses will not be funded neither will courses which you book onto but then you fail to attend.

If you want to go on any course, please follow this protocol. All the forms mentioned here are available from your GP scheme administrator.

  1. Arrange cover for your absence first: in a hospital post, this means liaising with your peers. In a GP post, this means liaising with the Practice Manager.
  2. Fill out a Study Leave Application Form first. Then see if your Consultant or GP Trainer and Training Programme Director will approve your request and sign their part of the form. Forms must be submitted as far in advance as possible but in any event no later than 6 weeks prior to the proposed leave.
  3. If study leave is approved, go ahead and pay for the course yourself.   If study leave is not approved a brief explanation will be provided.
  4. When the course is over, then fill out the Study Leave claim back expenses form, which helps you to reclaim what you’ve personally forked out.
  5. Along with that claim back expenses form, fill out the Study Leave evaluation form. Send both of these forms back. Claim forms must be submitted as soon as possible after the study leave has been completed. Claims submitted after a 3 month period has elapsed will NOT be eligible for payment. Claim forms will not be processed unless accompanied by an evaluation form and receipts.  Forward the completed forms to your GP scheme administrator.
  6. Then just wait for £££ to come through.

Exam Leave

Full time trainees are entitled to a Maximum of 5 days/year private study permitted for exam preparation. For more information, please see the Peninsula Primary Care site.

Please keep a log

In addition to Annual and Study leave, you are allowed time off from the training programme for any of the types of leave mentioned below, in accordance with the contractual arrangements with your employer.  However, we would like to reiterate the fact that the total, aggregated allowance for the types of leave below must not exceed…

  • one week in any 6 month post or
  • two weeks in a 12 month training period or
  • six weeks over a 3-year training period

(Please note that one year would be a calendar year beginning from programme start date).

Please keep a log of all your leave throughout your 3 year training programme (sickness, parental, maternity and anything else). ‘The ES Workbook’ will help keep a tally of these for you.

Remember, informing the different stakeholders who need to know is the trainee’s responsibility. Failing to do this early on will mean that any gaps that need making up in your training programme will be picked up too late to do anything about and only you lose out. We do not want this to happen to you.

Sick Leave

If you need time off sick, there are 2 aspects you need to think about:

– You should contact your workplace immediately to let them know you can’t come to work. In GP this might be the Practice Manager or your Trainer, in hospital the Rota Coordinator, departmental secretary or your Clinical Supervisor.  Try to have a conversation or full message exchange – don’t just leave a message and hope it gets through. If you can give them an idea of how long you are likely to be off sick, this is helpful.

– You must send sick notes to the correct admin department in your employing organisation – if you don’t, you may not get paid on time.

– If you are absent for more than two weeks in any one year for any kind of leave in addition to the study and annual leave allowance, that excess must be made up with additional training time at the end of your training programme.

– If you are absent for more than the two weeks allowance, please let the following people know:
1. Your scheme’s GP administrator
2. The Training Programme Directors
3. The Deanery

Other Types of Leave

Eligible employees can take unpaid parental leave to look after their child’s welfare, eg to: spend more time with their children, look at new schools, settle children into new childcare arrangements, spend more time with family, such as visiting grandparents.

Click for more info…

If you are planning on going on parental leave, there are various forms that need completing. Please contact rde-tr.GPSpecialtyTraining@nhs.net

When you take time off because your partner’s having a baby, adopting a child or having a baby through a surrogacy arrangement you might be eligible for:
– 1 or 2 weeks’ paid Paternity Leave,
– Paternity Pay,
– Shared Parental Leave and Pay.

You may not get both leave and pay, and there are rules on how to claim and when your leave can start.

Click here for more info…

As an employee you’re allowed time off to deal with an emergency involving a dependant. A dependant could be a spouse, partner, child, grandchild, parent, or someone who depends on you for care. You’re allowed a reasonable amount of time off to deal with the emergency, but there’s no set amount of time as it depends on the situation.

Click here for more info…

Unfortunately, most people will experience the loss of somebody close to them at some point during their career and may need time off work for compassionate bereavement leave. This allows them time for grieving and managing bereavement matters, such as arranging or attending a funeral. Currently, there is no legal obligation for UK employers to provide compassionate leave as standard, paid or otherwise. However, most employers do exercise discretion, and most detail a formal bereavement leave policy as a contractual entitlement. Please talk to your employer.

Click here for more info…

If you are an employee but also have caring responsibilities for children, elderly relatives or dependants you:

– Can apply for  The right to request flexible working
– are entitled to Time off for dependants to deal with unforeseen circumstances.

Your employer is required to give you time off for jury service BUT they don’t have to pay you for the time that you take off (unless your employment contract says so). You’ll be able to claim money back from the court to make up for some of your financial losses.

Click her for more info…

Your employer are not legally obliged to give you time off to attend doctor or dentist appointments unless your contract of employment says so. Your employer can insist you make these visits outside work hours, take holiday leave or make the time up later on. You should check your contract of employment.

Pregnant women are allowed reasonable paid time off work for ante-natal care – you won’t need to make it up later.

If you’re disabled and your employer won’t let you take time off for a medical appointment connected with your disability, they could be discriminating against you. Discuss this with them in the first instance.