Types of Leave

Study Leave

Trainees can apply to take study leave to:

  1. Acquire and improve knowledge, skills and attitudes related to GP Training.
  2. Prepare for and pass the AKT and CSA/RCA.
  3. Meet an essential requirement of GP Training (e.g. Child and Adult Level 3 Safeguarding).
  • Officially you get 30 days per year of Study Leave (=15 days every 6 months).
  • Attending HDR/WDR takes up a large part of this. (approx 11 days per 6 months in primary care, 6 days per 6 months in secondary care)
  • Study leave that prepares you for the requirements of the GP Training core curriculum including exams is prioritised above any personal learning interest or development towards a potential role as a GPSI even though this interest is included within the GP curriculum.
  • The resources available to support trainees attending courses outside HDR/WDR are limited.
  • Local courses generally take priority over more distant courses
  • Many schemes will not routinely fund GP Update, refresher and Hot Topics courses as they are not considered the most effective way to prepare for AKT.
  • Study leave for private study is considered, and 3 days per training year is usually the maximum allowed.
  • All study leave must be approved by the Trainer/Clinical Supervisor, the hospital/practice rota team and a Training Programme Director.

How to apply:

  1. Make sure the learning need for which you are applying for study leave is on your PDP, clearly described and justified in relation to GP training or your career in GP. 
  2. If you are in any doubt, talk to a TPD before going any further. 
  3. Take a look at our HDR / WDR programme to see if what you want to do is already covered.
  4. If you are in a secondary care post – follow Trust policy which usually means arranging cover for your absence by liaising with your peers. In a GP post, this means liaising with the Practice Manager.
  5. If the course/exam is on a day off, you still need to complete a study leave form to claim back any the costs involved.
  6. Get approval from the Rota Coordinator (hospital post) or Practice Manager (GP post). 
  7. Use the approved study leave application form and attach a copy of the course programme/activity/booking form.
  8. Apply 6 weeks in advance by sending the completed form to MECYork@york.nhs.uk.
  9. A decision about approval for your study leave will be made by the TPDs.
  10. You will be informed of the decision.
  11. Pay any upfront charges required by the organisers of the course after you have had approval. The courses will not be funded if you book but then you fail to attend.
  12. Claim forms must be submitted as soon as possible after the study leave has been completed. Claims submitted after a 3 month period has elapsed will NOT be eligible for payment. Claim forms will not be processed unless accompanied by an approved study leave form, confirmation of attendance and receipts.  Forward completed forms to MECYork@york.nhs.uk.

Link to HEE Y&H website for application and claim forms

Annual Leave

Please contact your Employer to confirm the number of annual leave days you are entitled to.

If you are in a GP Post please contact di.ruston@york.nhs.uk

If you are in a York Trust Hospital Post please contact mso@york.nhs.uk

Your annual leave entitlement increases when you have reached 5 years NHS service.

This next section needs updating

Exam Leave

Leave to take exams is usually counted as part of your Study Leave allowance. However, you can only take it as Study leave as dictated below…

Exam leave for the day of the MRCGP

– For the first attempt, leave is granted with pay and expenses.

– For subsequent attempts, leave is granted without pay and expenses.

Exam leave for the day of a diploma (such as DRCOG, DFSRH, DCH, DGM)

– Provided educational approval is given, leave will be granted without funding.

Exam preparation leave

– There is no automatic entitlement to Exam Preparation Leave for private study in order to prepare for an exam.

– In exceptional circumstances, the employing body may grant leave for up to 2 days to prepare for an exam but no more than 3 days in a year.

YH HEE pages on Types of Leave ACAS – Free employment Advice

Please keep a log

In addition to Annual and Study leave, you are allowed time off from the training programme for any of the types of leave mentioned below, in accordance with the contractual arrangements with your employer.  However, we would like to reiterate the fact that the total, aggregated allowance for the types of leave below must not exceed…

  • one week in any 6 month post or
  • two weeks in a 12 month training period or
  • six weeks over a 3-year training period

(Please note that one year would be a calendar year beginning from programme start date).

Please keep a log of all your leave throughout your 3 year training programme (sickness, parental, maternity and anything else). ‘The ES Workbook’ will help keep a tally of these for you.

Remember, informing the different stakeholders who need to know is the trainee’s responsibility. Failing to do this early on will mean that any gaps that need making up in your training programme will be picked up too late to do anything about and only you lose out. We do not want this to happen to you.

Sick Leave

If you need time off sick, there are 2 aspects you need to think about:

Your Employment

– You should contact your workplace immediately to let them know you can’t come to work. In GP this might be the Practice Manager or your Trainer, in hospital the Rota Coordinator, departmental secretary or your Clinical Supervisor.  Try to have a conversation or full message exchange – don’t just leave a message and hope it gets through. If you can give them an idea of how long you are likely to be off sick, this is helpful.

– You must send sick notes to the correct admin department in your employing organisation – if you don’t, you may not get paid on time.

Your Education

– If you are absent for more than two weeks in any one year for any kind of leave in addition to the study and annual leave allowance, that excess must be made up with additional training time at the end of your training programme.

– If you are absent for more than the two weeks allowance, please let the following people know:
1. Your scheme’s GP administrator
2. The Training Programme Directors
3. The Deanery

Other Types of Leave

Parental Leave

Eligible employees can take unpaid parental leave to look after their child’s welfare, eg to: spend more time with their children, look at new schools, settle children into new childcare arrangements, spend more time with family, such as visiting grandparents.

Click for more info…

Maternity Leave

This is for when you take time off to have a baby. Remember, you might be eligible for: Statutory Maternity Leave, Statutory Maternity Pay, paid time off for antenatal care or extra help from the government.

Click here for more info…

Paternity Leave

When you take time off because your partner’s having a baby, adopting a child or having a baby through a surrogacy arrangement you might be eligible for:
– 1 or 2 weeks’ paid Paternity Leave,
– Paternity Pay,
– Shared Parental Leave and Pay.

You may not get both leave and pay, and there are rules on how to claim and when your leave can start.

Click here for more info…

Time off for Family and Dependents

As an employee you’re allowed time off to deal with an emergency involving a dependant. A dependant could be a spouse, partner, child, grandchild, parent, or someone who depends on you for care. You’re allowed a reasonable amount of time off to deal with the emergency, but there’s no set amount of time as it depends on the situation.

Click here for more info…

Compassionate Leave

Unfortunately, most people will experience the loss of somebody close to them at some point during their career and may need time off work for compassionate bereavement leave. This allows them time for grieving and managing bereavement matters, such as arranging or attending a funeral. Currently, there is no legal obligation for UK employers to provide compassionate leave as standard, paid or otherwise. However, most employers do exercise discretion, and most detail a formal bereavement leave policy as a contractual entitlement. Please talk to your employer.

Click here for more info…

Carer’s Leave

If you are an employee but also have caring responsibilities for children, elderly relatives or dependants you:

– Can apply for  The right to request flexible working
– are entitled to Time off for dependants to deal with unforeseen circumstances.

Jury Service Leave

Your employer is required to give you time off for jury service BUT they don’t have to pay you for the time that you take off (unless your employment contract says so). You’ll be able to claim money back from the court to make up for some of your financial losses.

Click her for more info…

Time off to visit the doctor or dentist

Your employer are not legally obliged to give you time off to attend doctor or dentist appointments unless your contract of employment says so. Your employer can insist you make these visits outside work hours, take holiday leave or make the time up later on. You should check your contract of employment.

Pregnant women are allowed reasonable paid time off work for ante-natal care – you won’t need to make it up later.

If you’re disabled and your employer won’t let you take time off for a medical appointment connected with your disability, they could be discriminating against you. Discuss this with them in the first instance.