In some circumstances trainees may work extra paid sessions for example as locums in A&E, or sessional work to maintain clinical skills such as minor surgery or coil fitting. Before undertaking extra paid work think very carefully about whether this is appropriate, the key things to consider are:
- Extra sessions must not compromise your training
- Check with your medical defence organisation to ensure that you are appropriately medically indemnified for extra work
- You must remain compliant with UK Working Time Regulations and your contract – it is your responsibility to ensure this
- You must be satisfactorily be fulfilling all the required WPBA including e portfolio entries and assessments
- You are not allowed to work any extra paid sessions in a GP practice, or to do GP locums, until you have obtained your CCT
- You must declare any extra work on your form R which is submitted to the deanery each year as part of the ARCP and revalidation process
As always, we would be happy to discuss this in more detail – please contact one of the PDs directly or Sue who can arrange a time for us to talk.