Non-urgent advice: Opening a Bank Account
If you do not already have a UK bank account, it is advisable to look at the accounts and facilities that each bank offers, and choose the one you think suits you best. You will need to provide documentation to open an account which may vary depending on the bank.
You will normally need the following:
1. Identification – Passport and BRP or birth certificate
2. Confirmation of address
Non-urgent advice: Police Registration
Entry regulations for non-EU nationals coming to work in the United Kingdom require some trainees from certain countries to register with the local police. The Postgraduate Centre is not responsible for such registration, and the onus to register lies with the trainee. If you are required to register with the Police, it will be stated on your visa and/or the Home Office decision letter on your visa application. Failure to register is a criminal offence and could result in your removal from the United Kingdom.
When to Register
You must register with the police within seven days of your arrival in the UK. If you are required to collect your BRP card after arriving, you must register with the police within seven days of collection of your BRP card.
It is also important to note that you must keep your Police Registration Certificate up to date. You must register any change in circumstance to the police within seven days, for example if you change address, renew your passport, apply for a new visa or any other details as noted on you Police Registration Certificate change.
Where to Register
There are 4 stations within Cornwall that you can register at. For opening times and location, click the links below:
Bodmin Public Reception
Camborne Police enquiry office
Newquay Police enquiry office
St Austell Police enquiry office
How to Register
To register with the police please follow these 4 steps:
1. Download ‘Report of Initial Registration of Foreign National’ (Form no.67)
2. Using the guidance notes below please complete the Report of Initial Registration of Foreign National form in English language. PLEASE COMPLETE THE FORM IN BLOCK LETTERS.
3. Take your completed form to a nominated Police Station along with the following documents:
– Your Biometric Card (where applicable)
– Your current passport with the necessary visa documentation within it.
– One Passport size photograph
– £34 registration fee, which MUST be in Bank of England notes and coins.
– Any Home Office/Work Permit/University or College letter of acceptance, documentation that you have.
4. Collect your PRC (Police Registration Certificate) from your selected Police Station approximately 14 days from providing your details to the Police.
More information can be found on the Devon and Cornwall Police website.