Money Matters

Study Leave and Study Budget

As a GP Trainee you are entitled to 30 days of study leave per year. In Tameside, 15 of these are used to facilitate your regular structured teaching programme, which is protected teaching time. This can be used to further your clinical and professional development.

There is a finite study budget so, generally, study leave will only be considered for educational activities that prepare you for the requirements of MRCGP or becoming a GP, but not for extra-curricular interests or private study. All study leave must be approved in advance by both your Placement Supervisor (Consultant or GP) and Training Programme Director in order for it to be granted and for you to successfully reclaim fees.

Study Leave may be granted for:AKT preparation courses (usually one per trainee)
RCA preparation courses (usually one per trainee)
Experience days (such as shadowing in the ENT or eye clinic, or safeguarding meetings)
Study Leave will not be granted for:Private Study Days
Specialist courses like Neuro-linguistic programming, homeopathy, ALS/ATLS or Acupuncture
Post-GP training courses such as Minor Surgery, DRCOG/ other Diplomas

The process for applying for study leave, as well as the application and reimbursement forms, can be found below:

Study Leave Process (Important please read)
Study Leave Application Form
Study Leave Reimbursement Form

Further information regarding study leave can also be found on the HEE Website

Claiming Travel Costs

You are entitled to claim back travel costs incurred as a result of work-related travel that is beyond the route from your home to your usual place of work. In hospital posts, there is usually nothing you can claim back because most of your work will be at the hospital.

However, Doctors working in a GP practice who are required to use their own vehicle with the expectation that home visits may be undertaken shall be reimbursed for the cost of mileage from home to principal place of work. You can also claim for travel incurred to home visits and teaching day-release, if the latter requires driving to a place that is not your usual place of work (GP Practice). To claim, you will need to keep a travel log with notes on mileage and must also have business insurance on your vehicle.

To find out more, including how to sign up to make a mileage claim, please refer to the guidance on the lead employer website.

Claiming Tax Back

Did you know that you can also claim the tax back for many work-related expenses incurred as a result of training from HMRC? Examples include; exam fees (AKT, CSA and RCA), professional memberships (RCGP, BMA and GMC), certain equipment (stethoscopes) and uniform allowance. Although there is plenty of information on the HMRC website, you may wish to speak to them directly or find an accountant if you have any questions about what you can claim back.

Please take out cover with some of these organisations to protect you…


Employment issues (contracts, holidays, maternity pay etc) – can be a minefield so worth having proper representation. The BMA can be invaluable.

Sickness Cover

This one is a personal choice but many trainees find they prefer to have the peace of mind knowing that they will still have money coming in should they become sick for an extended period of time. This will be particularly important to trainees who have significant financial commitments like a mortgage, loan, private tuition fees etc.