GP Education in Portsmouth & the Isle of Wight
Our purpose is to support all aspects of general practice education in the healthcare communities based around Portsmouth, South East Hampshire and the Isle of Wight. We are funded by Wessex Deanery and hosted by Portsmouth Hospitals Trust.
We believe that Portsmouth and the Isle of Wight are very special places to train and develop a career in general practice, and are very fortunate in being able to enjoy the advantages of the glorious South Coast and to have the South Downs National Park on our doorstep.
Our vision of education is that it should be of high quality, up to date, enjoyable and focus upon each individual. We have a long tradition of excellence and innovation in GP Training, and continue to build upon these strong foundations.
Portsmouth’s Centre for Primary Care Education offers a holistic, learner centred approach to education which includes:
- Learning set support for F2s, ST1s and ST2s during their placements in general practice.
- Monthly study half days for ST1 and ST2s to help them to prepare for their future career in general practice.
- A weekly half day release course for ST3s, which addresses the MRCGP curriculum.
- A commitment to personal as well as professional development, including residential courses in the glorious settings of West Dean in West Sussex.
- Personalised support and guidance from programme directors.
- Programme directors who are also examiners for the MRCGP, and so can help to provide focused, relevant training for the RCA and AKT.
For qualified GPs:
- Support for practice-based learning programmes.
- Mentoring programmes.
- Targeted support for GPs in their first 5 years of practice.
- High quality educational events, including some local practice afternoon closures with out of hours support.
- Support and advice, including advice about career development
We have an excellent administration and support team and strong links with our local hospitals and clinical commissioning groups.