The majority of your time is spent in out-patients clinics which are a great opportunity for learning.
The team is also responsible for the care of a small number of dermatology inpatients.
There are daily minor operations lists which give you the opportunity to learn practical skills.
Time is allocated in the rota for administration.
GP trainees also take part in the general medical on call rota covering renal and transplant care at the Churchill Hospital.
The Churchill Hospital, Oxford (mainly), the John Radcliffe Hospital, Oxford (Friday paediatric clinic) and the Horton General Hospital, Banbury (Mondays).
Shift pattern (lates/nights/weekends etc)
1 Long day per week.
Approximately 8 sets of weekday / weekend nights and weekend long days in 6 months
On call evenings, nights and weekends are covering renal and palliative care at the Churchill Hospital.
Top tips for extra opportunities (e.g. teaching / skills )
Many opportunities for learning through consultant teaching in clinics.
Minor surgery skills.
Teaching 2-3 times each week focused on trainee learning. Including Tuesday morning 8am tutorials and Tuesday afternoon meetings and presentations.
- Excellent consultants, very willing to teach.
- Lots of clinical experience very relevant to general practice.
- Very organised department.
- A great deal of your time in dermatology (most afternoons at least) is self-directed. You can can usually choose what is most useful to you: clinics, theatre, admin, personal study, etc.
- They are very flexible with annual and study leave.
- Dermatology is very specialised so starting as a trainee with no previous experience can be challenging with a steep learning curve initially.
- If a trainee is away you can end up covering all the tumour clinics and therefore not be able to go to other clinics during this time.
- The on-calls can be quite busy and it is difficult to do on-calls in a department where you do not also do a day job. The on-calls are also in a highly specialised area, with a steep learning curve. However, the on-calls are very well supported, with good senior availability.
The details are correct at the time of writing but are subject to change.